Whether we recognize it or not, we are in the midst of a spiritual battle. The battle lines are often drawn through temptation. Temptation comes in all different shapes and sizes: some more destructive than others, but all pleasing to the senses. If we want to experience victory in the spiritual battle, we must look to Jesus. He gives His followers not only the power to overcome temptation, but the example of how to do it.
Read Matthew 4:1-4:
- Why do you think the Holy Spirit led Jesus into the wilderness to be tempted at the start of his ministry?
- What is something this shows us about what it’s like to be led by God’s Spirit?
- Jesus’ first temptation is in verse 3. In your own words, what did the Devil tempt Him with?
Read Matthew 4:5-7:
- What do we communicate about the character of God when we trust in Him to meet our needs?
- Satan quotes Psalm 91:11-12 in his second temptation of Jesus. How did Satan twist these verses?
Read Matthew 4:8-11:
- In verse 9 we find the final temptation of Jesus. What did the Devil tempt Jesus with here?
- How did this temptation call God’s wisdom and character into question?
Taking it home:
- What sticks out to you the most about the way Jesus handled these temptations?
- What are some practical ways you can remind yourself of God’s strength as you face temptation this week?
Other Scriptures to Engage with this week:
Isaiah 11:1-5; Isaiah 59:14-21; Isaiah 52:6-10; Genesis 15:1-6; Isaiah 49:1-7; Revelation 1:10-18.