God’s people are thankful for His salvation and, in their gratitude, proclaim His goodness to the nations.
Whether it’s to a cashier at a store or to our grandmother, expressing gratitude to someone seems appropriate. In the act of thanking someone, we are recognizing that a person did something that benefited us and we do not wish to take this for granted. However, there are times when it is not as easy to utter the phrase, “thank you.” The people of Judah and Israel might have felt similarly in hearing that one day they would express their thankfulness to God. Despite Isaiah’s announcement that Israel would suffer the eventual consequences for disobeying their covenant with Yahweh, namely via captivity and exile, Isaiah nevertheless assured them that they would one day thank God for His salvation—not only thank Him, but also sing to Him.
Read Isaiah 12:1-2:
- How do we see the twin themes of salvation and judgment in these verses?
- Why do you think the concepts of trust and fear are mentioned together?
- Why is there a close connection between God and salvation in the Bible?
Read Isaiah 12:3:
- What do you think the “wells of salvation” represent in this verse?
- Have you ever felt spiritually thirsty? How did you quench that thirst?
- Why is joy an important part of drawing from these wells of salvation?
Read Isaiah 12:4-6:
- What are some of the things that God has “done gloriously”?
- How can we spread the word of God’s greatness?
- What does it mean for the Holy One of Israel to be “among us”?
Taking it Home:
- How can you cultivate a deeper trust in God in your life, especially in areas where you may be prone to anxiety or fear?
- In what ways can you draw from the wells of salvation in your daily life, and how can you share that spiritual nourishment with others?
Ways to Pray:
- Adoration: Praise God for providing wells of salvation.
- Contrition: Confess any areas where you have doubted God’s ability to be your strength and salvation.
- Thankfulness: Give thanks to God for His righteousness and justice, as well as for His abundant mercy and salvation.
- Supplication: Ask God to give you opportunities to share the word of His greatness with others.
Additional Scriptures to Engage with this week:
- Psalm 9
- Psalm 16
- Psalm 18
- Psalm 116
- Psalm 117
- Psalm 136