Though we will face trials in our life, God is faithful to provide wisdom in hardship and the power to overcome temptation.
Endurance can take many forms. We often think of endurance when it pertains to physical long distance events such as a marathon or a triathlon. Endurance is not merely a physical tool, it is a spiritual one as well. James began his letter urging endurance in trials. We can be confident that God will be faithful to us as we seek endurance in trials and temptations of all sorts.
Read James 1:1-4:
- According to James, what should be a Christian’s attitude when facing trials?
- When you have experienced trials in your life, did you “consider it all joy” or become depressed and discouraged?
- Why is perseverance important?
Read James 1:5-12:
- How do you define “wisdom,” and how does it relate to enduring trials?
- What impact would being “double-minded” have on how a person faces trials?
- Based on the description of it in this text, how can a person avoid being double-minded?
Read James 1:13-18:
- Why do you think people try to blame God for the temptations they face, as James’s readers evidently were doing?
- According to these verses, who is the real culprit we are to blame for our sins?
Taking it Home:
- Where do you recognize indecision in your life following Christ? What needs to change?
- How does a continual pursuit to overcome temptation give opportunity to share with others about the truth of the gospel?
Ways to Pray:
- Adoration: Praise God for His steadfast love and faithfulness, which sustain us through trials and difficulties.
- Contrition: Confess any tendency to be easily swayed by temptations, and ask God for the strength and perseverance to resist them.
- Thankfulness: Thank God for the ways in which He has already provided for you and protected you, even in difficult times.
- Supplication: Ask God for wisdom and understanding to discern His will in difficult situations.
Additional Scriptures to Engage with this week:
- Ephesians 6:10-20
- 1 Peter 3:13-4:11
- Colossians 2:20-3:17
- Romans 6:13-8:18
- Psalm 7
- Luke 12:32-48