We live in a culture that often feeds on the drama caused by people’s harsh words to one another. Reality shows and talk shows frequently thrive on this, and social media is a prime breeding ground for negative speech. Biting sarcasm and insults are often viewed as forms of comedy, but how are followers of Christ called to speak with others?
Read Proverbs 18:2-4.
- What is the difference between gaining understanding and showing off an opinion?
- How is showing off your opinion unhelpful in an argument?
- Is there a particular subject, or some area of your life, where you too quickly offer your opinions without first listening to understand?
Read Proverbs 18:5-8.
- Do you ever find yourself viewing kindness as weakness?
- When are you most tempted to not guard your tongue—to “let go of the reins” and say whatever comes to mind?
- What are some things you have said in the past that you quickly regretted?
Taking it Home:
- In what situations do you need to be more careful about listening before you speak?
- What are some specific steps you can take to develop a pattern of speech that honors God?
Other Scriptures to Engage with this week:
Psalm 36; Psalm 5; Job 40:1-14; Psalm 140; Psalm 75; Proverbs 12:13-22.