1 John 2:1-6
As believers, we are called to walk in the light of God’s truth and be truthful in our words and actions: being honest, genuine, and living in obedience to God’s commandments. Living a life marked by God’s truth is not always easy in a world filled with deception and falsehood. How can we navigate the challenges of this world with integrity and authenticity? By following the example of Jesus Christ and the leading of the Holy Spirit. Let us strive to be people of truth, reflecting God’s character in our words, actions, and relationships. By aligning our lives with God’s truth, we reflect His character and bring glory to His name.
Other Scriptures to Engage with this week:
- Ezekiel 13:1-23
- Matthew 7:15-20
- 2 Peter 2:1-3
- Micah 3:5-7
- 1 Timothy 4:1-5
- Colossians 2:6-8
Use SOAP through the summer
Growth Groups take a break during the summer months, so we don’t have specific discussion questions for these Engage passages. Instead, we encourage you to use the SOAP Method (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). It’s a systematic way to engage with the Bible, encouraging personal reflection, spiritual growth, and a deeper understanding of Scripture. The tabs below will explain each step and offer some specific guidance and questions to ask as you reflect on the Scriptures.
Pray before you begin asking God to help you understand and apply what you read. Read the passage through once or twice before moving on to observation.
Consider any of these as you study the passage:
- Unpack the passage by answering who, what, where, when, why and how.
- Look for words that stand out to you or are repeated throughout the passage.
- List the characters involved and write out what you learn about them.
- Write out the passage in your own words.
- List any question you have about the passage.
Summarize the truth of this passage in your own words. Then ask yourself, is there some area of my life where this truth is needed?
- Is there an example for me to follow?
- Is there a command to obey?
- Is there a sin to avoid?
- Is there a verse to memorize?
- Is there a promise to claim?
Write out a brief prayer to close your study:
- Tell God what you learned in his Word.
- Commit to applying the truths you learned in this passage.