Pray before you begin asking God to help you understand and apply what you read. Read the passage through once or twice before moving on to observation.
Consider any of these as you study the passage:
- Unpack the passage by answering who, what, where, when, why and how.
- Look for words that stand out to you or are repeated throughout the passage.
- List the characters involved and write out what you learn about them.
- Write out the passage in your own words.
- List any question you have about the passage.
Summarize the truth of this passage in your own words. Then ask yourself, is there some area of my life where this truth is needed?
- Is there an example for me to follow?
- Is there a command to obey?
- Is there a sin to avoid?
- Is there a verse to memorize?
- Is there a promise to claim?
Write out a brief prayer to close your study:
- Tell God what you learned in his Word.
- Commit to applying the truths you learned in this passage.
Remember that God will help you as you study and apply the Scriptures!
Other Scriptures to Engage with this week:
Micah 2; Isaiah 2; Habakkuk 2; Isaiah 5:8-23; Amos 5:6-24; James 1.