As we grow in our relationship with God, two things are supposed to loom larger and larger in our minds: the depth of our sin and the holiness of God. Knowing God better results in understanding His marvelous grace better, which only serves to deepen our understanding of just how sinful we are. The more we understand the depth of our sin, the more we understand the lavishness of His grace and the beauty of His holiness.
Other Scriptures to Engage with this week:
- 1 Peter 2:10-25
- Psalm 69
- Jonah 2
- 2 Peter 1:3-11
- Nahum 1
- Psalm 43
Use SOAP through the summer
Growth Groups take a break during the summer months, so we don’t have specific discussion questions for these Engage passages. Instead, we encourage you to use the SOAP Method (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). It’s a systematic way to engage with the Bible, encouraging personal reflection, spiritual growth, and a deeper understanding of Scripture. The tabs below will explain each step and offer some specific guidance and questions to ask as you reflect on the Scriptures.
Pray before you begin asking God to help you understand and apply what you read. Read the passage through once or twice before moving on to observation.
Consider any of these as you study the passage:
- Unpack the passage by answering who, what, where, when, why and how.
- Look for words that stand out to you or are repeated throughout the passage.
- List the characters involved and write out what you learn about them.
- Write out the passage in your own words.
- List any question you have about the passage.
Summarize the truth of this passage in your own words. Then ask yourself, is there some area of my life where this truth is needed?
- Is there an example for me to follow?
- Is there a command to obey?
- Is there a sin to avoid?
- Is there a verse to memorize?
- Is there a promise to claim?
Write out a brief prayer to close your study:
- Tell God what you learned in his Word.
- Commit to applying the truths you learned in this passage.