This Week’s Main Idea:
Jesus has demonstrated for us how to humbly serve one another so that our selfishness might be replaced with selflessness.
Who are some of the most influential leaders in your life? What traits led you to admire them as you do?
Read John 13:1-5
1. How does Jesus’ washing of His disciples’ feet serve as an act of love “to the end?” Why do you think John chooses to emphasize the presence of Judas in this foot-washing scene? Does it surprise you that Judas was there for the foot-washing? Why or why not?
2. Does the fact that Jesus washed even Judas’ feet have any special impact on the significance of this event for you? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think John described Jesus in such powerful terms in v. 3?
4. What is the relationship between Jesus as He is described in v. 3 and the role He took as a foot-washing slave in v. 4?
5. As their Lord removed his outer clothing and began to wash their feet, what might have been going through the disciples’ minds? What might such an act have done to the dynamic of the room during a shared meal?
Read John 13:6-11
6. How would you describe Peter’s response to Jesus’ actions? How do you think you would have responded? Why?
7. Why are profound acts of humility frequently admired as much as they are despised?
8. What motivation does Jesus know must lead Peter to have his feet washed (v. 7)?
9. What, if anything, is significant about Peter’s request that Jesus wash his hands and head as well?
Read John 13:12-17
10. Consider Jesus’ question to His disciples in v. 12. Do you think they understood what He had just done and why? Do you understand?
11. What excuses might the disciples have made for not wanting to follow Jesus’ example? What excuses do we tend to make? What do these excuses reveal about our hearts?
12. Thinking about the relationships in your life, how can you practically “wash their feet?”
13. Who is someone who serves you like this? What can you do to thank them this week?
Suggested prayer request:
I praise You, God, for the work of Christ and His example of service, love, and humility. Thank You that Jesus was willing to humble Himself out of love for me. Help me to reflect daily on His humility as I live out the gospel in my relationships, and that by doing so, others would be drawn to Jesus.
Other Scriptures to Engage with this week:
Colossians 3:12-14. Philippians 3:8-10, Proverbs 3:28-35, Proverbs 11:1-7, Matthew 16:24-26