Jesus is eternal and permanent, and His love for us and His intercession on our behalf do not expire.
Qualifications and a proven track record of reliability are essential. You depend on someone who not only has the necessary skill set, but who can be counted on when needed. Levitical priests interceded with God on behalf of people. They were human, so they died and were replaced by another human priest. Sometimes the successor priests were not qualified. Jesus is qualified to save people because of His relationship with God the Father. In addition to being able to save, Jesus is reliable. Since He is eternal, He continues to have the ability to save those who express faith in Him.
Read Hebrews 6:13-7:28:
- How have your experiences with human faithfulness affected the way you perceive God’s faithfulness?
- How can God’s faithfulness be an anchor?
- How does Jesus compare with Levitical priests? Why is this significant?
- Why do you think that God has done so much to have a relationship with sinful people?
- What does it mean to you that in Christ you can draw near to God at any time and any place?
- When you depend on someone to help you, what qualities do you want that person to have?
- When have you been let down by something or someone you were counting on?
- How does a person’s character influence his or her actions?
- If you were to describe Jesus’ character based on this passage, what points would you include? What points are most meaningful to you?
Taking it Home:
- What temptations are you going to face this week that might cause you to rely on something else other than Jesus?
- How are you going to remind yourself that He is the only true Savior?
Ways to Pray:
- Adoration: Praise Jesus as our High Priest who is always ready, willing, and able to enter the Father’s presence to intercede for us.
- Contrition: Confess any ways in which you have been unreliable or undependable.
- Thankfulness: Give thanks to God for giving us a sure and steadfast anchor for our souls.
- Supplication: Ask for the peace that comes from resting in Christ’s finished work.
Additional Scriptures to Engage with this week:
- Genesis 22
- Psalm 110
- Genesis 14
- 2 Chronicles 31:2-10
- Psalm 16
- Revelation 1:4-19