Jesus is the ultimate source everything in the universe, and in Him we find the hope we need—now and for eternity.
What we believe about Jesus matters, and that belief should be evident in our lives. Paul wanted the church at Colossae to ground their beliefs in a proper view of Jesus. The gospel of Jesus Christ is not a matter of philosophical debate but revealed truth that impacts the most practical areas of obedience in our lives. This is one of the main points Paul tried to emphasize in his letter to the church at Colossae.
Read Colossians 1:1-8:
- How does hope differ from optimism or positivity?
- What does it mean to have hope “laid up” in heaven?
Read Colossians 1:9-14:
- What are some of the things that stand out to you that Paul prayed for this church?
- When Paul says, “walk in a manner worthy of the Lord” (verse 10), what does he mean by that?
- According to how Paul prays here, what do we need first in order to “walk worthy”?
Read Colossians 1:15-23:
- What is the significance of Jesus’ role in creation?
- How does the reconciliation that Jesus brings about through his death and resurrection bring about hope and salvation for believers?
- What does the church look like when Jesus is the head? How does it look different when He is not?
Taking it Home:
- How can you make Jesus the center of your own life and worship?
- What are some practical ways to keep your eyes fixed on your ultimate hope in Jesus, even when you face challenges and difficulties in this life?
Ways to Pray:
- Adoration: Praise God for Jesus’ centrality and supremacy in all things.
- Contrition: Confess any false teachings or philosophies that you have embraced or allowed to influence your faith.
- Thankfulness: Thank God for the gospel and for the transformative power it has in your life.
- Supplication: Ask God to give you a deeper understanding of the hope that we have in him, and for the strength and courage to hold onto this hope in difficult times.
Additional Scriptures to Engage with this week:
- 1 Peter 1
- Psalm 33
- Lamentations 3:1-40
- Titus 2:11-3:11
- Isaiah 8:11-22
- Hebrews 6