Love is the language of God to His children because it is His very essence. But God did more than shout down from heaven, “I love you!” to the people on earth. He demonstrated His love by sending Jesus to die on the cross. That’s the nature of love—it’s more than mere emotion or sentiment. True love is intentional and action-oriented. When we understand more and more the depth of Jesus’ love for us, we will find ourselves freed to love each other in that same sacrificial and intentional kind of way.
Read Luke 1:39-55:
- Is there any situation in your life right now that is causing you to question the love of God?
- What reason did Mary give for her to rejoice?
- What contrasts or role reversals does Mary make in this passage? How do these reflect her feelings about God? About herself?
- How does God’s love for us transform the way we see other people?
- What happens to our efforts to love each other if those efforts aren’t connected to Jesus’ love for us?
- Do you find yourself more loving or more critical and judgmental of others right now? If the latter, how are you going to reconnect with the love of God in Christ this week?
Other Scriptures to Engage with this week:
1 John 4:7-12, Romans 8:37-39, John 15:9-14, Zephaniah 3:14-20; 1 John 4:16-19, Ephesians 2:1-5.