Mark 5:21-24, 35-43
Jesus’ miracles demonstrate His healing power and His ability to radically transform us.
Jairus knew that the power to heal his daughter was out of his reach, and so he turned to someone he believed could bring about that change—Jesus. Desperation like Jairus’ always drives us to something: we can be driven to ourselves and what we can do, or to God and what He can do. During His earthly ministry, Jesus often used physical healings and miracles—such as this one from Mark 5—to reveal His power and authority to bring about change and restoration to the physical and spiritual ailments of our world.
Read Mark 5:21-24:
- What do Jairus’ actions tell us about his beliefs concerning Jesus?
- Which obstacles do you think Jairus had to overcome in order to reach out to Jesus for help?
- Have you ever been driven by a great need in your life to do something you normally would not do?
Read Mark 5:35-36:
- How do you think Jairus felt while he waited for Jesus to talk with the woman who was ill?
- Do you think you would have reacted differently to Jesus’ words challenging you to believe and not be afraid?
- What are some ways in which we as Christians can encourage others to continue to have faith in God even when the future does not look promising?
Read Mark 5:37-42:
- Why is it noteworthy that the people present laughed at Jesus? How do they compare to Jairus?
- What stands out to you the most in the account of Jesus’ healing? Does it reveal something particular to you about Jesus’ character and His work in our lives?
Taking it Home:
- What are some things today that threaten or discourage your faith in God’s ability and desire to bring about change in your life?
- How have you seen Jesus demonstrate His power in your life? In what ways does that experience impact your faith in Him?
Ways to Pray:
- Adoration: Praise God for His wisdom and plan that in His time He works things for good.
- Confession: Ask forgiveness for those times when you have been angry at God for not moving at your desired speed.
- Thankfulness: Thank God that He is with us in our times of desperation and in what we see as delays.
- Supplication: Ask Him to help your group to dwell and depend on His words this week.
Additional Scriptures to Engage with this week:
- John 5:2-17
- Hebrews 11
- Psalm 13
- 2 Kings 4:8-37
- Acts 9:36-43
- 1 Kings 17:8-24