Ephesians 5:15-16 & Colossians 4:2-6
Prayerfulness, godly living, and gracious dialogue have greater gospel impact than argument and debate.
We will never argue someone into the kingdom of God. We win people more effectively with gracious dialogue than with confrontation and debate. Christ followers are called to continually be ready to give a reason for their hope (1 Peter 3:15). However, it is clear that this is not primarily done through debate and argument. Rather, our words are given greater impact when spoken in the context of a relationship, and when spoken with the genuine desire of love for the one listening.
- What does it mean to be an effective witness for Christ?
Read Ephesians 5:15-16:
- Do you think people generally “pay careful attention” to how they live, or just “go with the flow”?
- In your season of life right now, what does it mean for you to “make the best use of the time”?
Read Colossians 4:2-6:
- Why do you think Paul ask believers to pray for these specific things he mentions?
- What role does prayer play in making the gospel known to unbelievers?
- How can you “act wisely” toward unbelievers?
- What does speech that is “gracious, seasoned with salt” sound like?
Taking it Home:
- On a scale of 1-10, how prepared do you think you are to speak to “each person” who might ask you about Jesus and the gospel?
- Does the way you speak with unbelievers advance or hinder the cause of Christ?
Ways to Pray:
- Adoration: Praise God for His greatness, His sovereignty, and His mercy.
- Contrition: Ask forgiveness for the times you have not spoken with kindness and love to those around you.
- Thankfulness: Give thanks to God for the people in your life who have shared the gospel with you and have been examples of grace and kindness.
- Supplication: Ask God to provide you with opportunities to share His love with others, and that you would be bold and courageous in doing so.
Additional Scriptures to Engage with this week:
- 2 Timothy 2
- Matthew 22:15-22
- Luke 13:1-9
- Titus 3:1-11
- 1 Peter 3:8-17
- Proverbs 10:11-14